Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Bespoke Early Bay Westy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bespoke Early Bay Westy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy f**k man.........magazine quality work dude.
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dood.

i took it for a drive this weekend!

ready to roll out and fire up:

fired up, drove out on driveway, looked underneath, saw massive oil leak, rolled back in, jacked up:

super easy fix. i only hand-tightened the oil cooler lines.

cleaning up the oil was 20x as much work as fixing it.

sh!tty shot in the garage:

bags running no air, but the adjustable spring plates set to high. (still have to mount the tank and plumb compressor and valves).
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that must be a good feeling havin her run. Any tweeking of the carbs or dizzy needing done ?
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbs are good i think. timing needs tuning.

i think i have officially entered the 'tuning' phase.
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on the fire suppression system - i FINALLY figured out how to piece this together.

i now have all the pieces i need. i'll post pictures of the raw setup.

$38.00 fire extinguisher (Heavy-duty commercial grade / fire rating: 1A10BC / weight: 2.5 lbs / Rechargeable / with pressure gauge)
$35.00 two 200 degree F Automatic-trigger heads (white)
$12.00 copper tubing for fire suppression system
$7.00 flexible copper tubing for fire suppression system
$6.50 Brass fittings for fire suppression system

$98.50

now all i need to do is make it and install it Very Happy
Bow-Wow
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCP wrote:

now all i need to do is make it and install it Very Happy

We expect completion pics by the end of supper.
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air out

The bottom of a T4 engine is nearly perfectly flat.the lowest point are the bolts on the mustache bar mount - which are about 2cms off the ground. Perfect!

Air up: an honest 7.5 inches of lift. i am happy with this.

now if i could only get those bloody air leaks sorted out.  i have one leak on the tank circuit that i have found and will address tonight. I have another on one rear bag. i'm using DOT fittings (with inner tube and sleeve). i am having sealing issues with the brass sleeve on one bag. hopefully it's an easy fix cause there is a ton of shit under the back of my bus and not a lot of room to get tools, etc.

not sure if i posted this but here are some air management thingies
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've resigned myself to the fact that this will not be ready for the Great Canadian this year. Sad

time.... lack of it, is the issue. i can't build this in random 30 minute / 1 hr intervals. Hard to be mad about this as i am choosing to spend time with family instead.

That said - i am still making progress. i tested my alternator and it was pushing 13.8v (good), but my isolator was only pushing 12.4v, so i pulled that. while i was in there it got me thinking that my 55A alternator will not be enough for my A/C, heated seat, lights, gas heater, and air compressor. soooo, i'm in the middle of switching to a single wire 105A alternator. i picked it up a few nights ago and while it's not a direct swap, it's pretty dammn close. i mocked it up last night and am currently getting the regulator swapped out inside it to work with the VW wiring (idiot light). pulley alignment is very very close. but will still require some fabrication to get bang on.

air suspension and management done.

interior fabrication is going well too (centre console done, camping interior underway).
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your 6yr old is at par with my 6 yr old. If you need help making bracelets and tea parties let me know Smile and I know what you mean re the 30min thing.

WCP wrote:
lack of it, is the issue. i can't build this in random 30 minute / 1 hr intervals. Hard to be mad about this as i am choosing to spend time with family instead.

JB
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pppppffffttttt you pansies just need to learn to operate on less sleep! Wink put the wife and kids to bed and get a solid 4 hrs of man time Laughing
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a back-up camera on the deck lid ?
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda loosing steam on the whole build thread update. seems like forum activity in general has really died down.

three months since my build last post. i've still been working on this. lots of little things like converting my air pressure windshield washer pump to electric with the stock switch (via micro switch behind it). all not hard - just takes time.

and yes Marc - that's a backup camera.

anyway ...

well, i finally went for a out of province vehicle inspection on Friday. Got a Temporary operating permit for the day.

i left 2 hrs early for the appointment (20 minute drive) in case i had something pop up. i had planned to take the side roads to stay off the highway.

but, after a few laps around my neighborhood and tweaking of the carbs / timing, i decided to bite the bullet and drive.

first impressions - MASSIVE visibility!! i'm shocked at how much you can see all around you in these buses. also sitting up tall is a nice change (can see a lot more). i feel like i'm on the floor in my speedy.

felt good, braked strong and straight, no funny smells or noises, accelerated kinda slowly (carbs / timing need tuning and i'm used to the speedster in terms of acceleration, so....)

so i changed the plans on route and took the highway. steering is a *little* sloppy (i need to fix center pin bushings before they will pass)

i was also very pleasantly surprised at the cruising RPM. i have the 091 (late bay) with a 2.1L T4 w/dual 44s and 185-65 rear tires. 90KPH was only 2300 RPM! this is going to make road trips (and L/100K) very nice!

oil pressure was great! oil temp was nice and low (i am running stock T4 cooler and a thermostatically controlled 72 plate cooler with another thermostatically controlled 8" fan. i should be able to drive this through Africa without overheating. i didnt try out the AC yet (i have not pressurized it. i'm waiting until i'm fully happy with the engine / suspension / trans setup.)

speaking of heat - i decided to drive there with all the windows opened. got a little chilly, so i tried out the heated seats! NICE! also tried out the stock heater *without turning on the blower*. worked pretty good to keep my feet warm.

got there nice and early and left it for the whole day. two things were on the list to fix. center pin bushings and some brake line clips. both pretty minor considering how much was done to this thing! overall - i am very pleased

i'm in the process of doing the centre beam pin and bushing. this is a piece of cake considering all the custom work i've done on this beast.\

special shout out to Victoria Volkswagen! Very pleasant experience.

and thanks Chris for the German pin kit you had in stock!
JB
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the first drive bud! Hit me up after xmas (usually my slow time for work) for the AC help. I know what you mean about the lack lustre action of the forums being demotivating for updates!
littleaircooledbro
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one cool bay man.... congrats on the build
TrapperDog
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job, enjoyed following your post. lots of helpful tips. looking forward to tackling my project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Build Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: