Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Chris's 1969 KG Coupe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chris's 1969 KG Coupe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more stuff done today on the Ghia. I was able to remove the stainless window trim around the front and rear windows and get ready to pull the glass. Also I have started gutting the interior but need a lot more ziplock bags. The left side door under the weather stripping has some serious rot, which was an unexpected surprise. As for the rear lower quarter on the same side showed since of rot thru (which I have ordered a reproduction piece to fix that).

CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front and rear windows are giving me a lot of trouble with their old rotten rubber seals. Also add the fact that after I stepped on the pan to undo the screws for the quarter windows, I found out that the pan is deteriorated. I almost got the door glass out, but can't figure out what I need to do to get it past the upper channel.

Car needs to be ready for media blasting mid next week, so I am under some pressure to get her off that pan before then.
hawthorne
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommodoreCollector wrote:
The front and rear windows are giving me a lot of trouble with their old rotten rubber seals.

shouldnt be too hard to cut through the rubber? then evenly push out on the glass and it should come out fairly easy...

CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just need a better box cutter to remove the inner seal. At the moment I am using loose straight razors which are awkward to get between the glass and the seal.
Johno
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just need a better box cutter to remove the inner seal. At the moment I am using loose straight razors which are awkward to get between the glass and the seal.

Glass shops have a nifty tool. Basically a sawsal with a super flexible straight blade on it. My work truck was giving them problems so he pulled out this tool and shoved it between the glass and rubber and pulled the trigger and zipped right through.

saw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.59 KB
 Viewed:  108 Time(s)

saw.jpg

CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went over the Vancouver to meet up with Dan S. to pick with a donor front clip, replacement left door, an extra hood, and a replacement right quarter glass. Also stopped briefly in Richmond to pick up a rim from Silas before heading back to Vic on the 7pm sailing.

Today I got the front and rear glass out finally after using a bigger blade to cut the rotten seals. I also got the deck lid off. One thing that is giving me trouble is the door glass, but I am going to give that another try tomorrow. Probably another day or two worth of tear down before I can separate the body from the Pan.

PS: Who in VVWC can rebuild engine's, transaxle, and front beam? That has free time and wouldn't mind some extra funds to put towards their project.
CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short update... car is off shell and getting media blasted tomorrow morning. Will be back in the shop mid next week ready for metal work.

Owner of Reborn Relics in Duncan
CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia pan will be in the shop this week, body hopefully soon after. I am building the a body dolly for the car that is almost done but my drill press is getting tired and having major difficulty drilling thru 1/8" thick steel. Only a few things to weld on it, then I am going to rattle can paint the thing so I won't trip over it and so it won't rust. Yes I have pics, just have not had a chance to upload yet.
CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on! awesome having a clean blasted slate! Who did it for you? I'm kinda surprised you did the door skins Shocked usually strip large panels panels like that with with a DA, hopefully they didn't warp too bad....might look ok now but wait till you start blocking on them Crying or Very sad
CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the ghia media blasted at Island Air Cooled. The person who did the blasting is very good and knows heat control so none of the panels are warped.
JB
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the ghia media blasted at Island Air Cooled. The person who did the blasting is very good and knows heat control so none of the panels are warped.

not to try and start shit, Shawn does know his dubs but I don't care who or what did the blasting....blast large flattish panels with any media or technique and they WILL warp end of story......how much depends on above variables. I'm sure they will be fine, just wanted to point it out to the next guy looking at your pics who gets some grand idea to shovel a bunch of sand off the lagoon into his new princess auto blaster and kills his doors Cool

carry on....looking like a decent start, what's the plans for the build?
CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any warping it is hard to notice. Plans are this week to get the pan replaced with the repro I ordered and pull the engine and trans. Also I am going to start doing the metal work on the front of the ghia and dismantling my donor front clip. More repro sheet metal has been ordered too... just have not arrived yet.
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta start somewhere done lots of rusty future show cars and metal is metal and a learning experience...seen and have built a whole 34 coupe from a cowl,pieces of fenders and a bit of a door.....you can cut/weld heat/shrink/dolly anything metal no lead or bondo required if yer that fussy and some people are....One thing good about the beach gravel is it wouldn't make it out of the pot to screw anything up without at least 600cfm motivating it....Carry on Captain you doin fine
CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haywirebutton wrote:
you gotta start somewhere done lots of rusty future show cars and metal is metal and a learning experience...seen and have built a whole 34 coupe from a cowl,pieces of fenders and a bit of a door.....you can cut/weld heat/shrink/dolly anything metal no lead or bondo required if yer that fussy and some people are....One thing good about the beach gravel is it wouldn't make it out of the pot to screw anything up without at least 600cfm motivating it....Carry on Captain you doin fine

The media that was used was glass bead, just so you know. I have some metal work experience from technical school but doing this ghia is going to teach me a lot about replacing rotten panels on vws. As for trying to achieve perfection, I am not that type. A concours quality restoration would be possible but that would also mean double or tripling the budget for the car. Am I going for that? No, because at that point you have invested more money in the car than it's worth. All I am going for is a 90-99 point restoration, that someone can enjoy rather than sitting in a show room collecting dust.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Build Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: