Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Just picked up a 73 Westfalia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just picked up a 73 Westfalia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busaddict
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '73 bus with dual Solex carbs and a DVDA distributor. Last year the original DVDA vacuum failed and caused the timing to go haywire before I fixed it by replacing the whole distributor. All I had was an old Bosch 009 lying around, but it got it running again and quite well. Block off both vacuum ports from the carb as the 009 is mechanical advance only. You can simply stick a couple of golf tees in the hose ends.

"For the aircooled VW engine and 009 distributor, the maximum advance MUST be between 28 and 32 degrees at 3000+ rpm. The 009 distributor is usually set at 3000+ rpm because it produces its maximum advance at 2600-2700rpm. Setting the maximum advance timing at 3000+ rpm ensures that it's "all in." (That's BTDC)

from www.vw-resource.com/009_dizzy.html but the domain just expired.

Don't know if this helps... Smile

009 Distributor.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  009 Distributor.pdf
 Filesize:  89.61 KB
 Downloaded:  102 Time(s)

donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - I narrowed down on the DVDA and figured it out.

I removed the hose from the retard port on the vacuum and plugged it on the carb, but left it open on the vacuum port.

I then removed the hose from the advance port and adjusted the timing (10 ATDC on my manual 1700cc).

After a few other things (checking air leaks, removing and reattaching wires, looking at the motor for 20 minutes, etc) it now runs awesome. Just got back from a few days of camping.

I also lubricated the plates on the distributor. I think I'll keep my eyes open for a SVDA ... also heard the pertronic electronic distributors with the higher voltage coils are worthwhile. Will check those out as well.
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

making your 1700 more reliable has been known to prolong the anxiety and suspense but with an added bonus of overwelming joy and relief when you actually sometimes arrive at your destination....the anxiety and suspense will return when you depart for elsewhere.... so go for it...You can improve on fine German 1930's technology without sacrificing adventure but not alot...My personal favorite is #3or #1 dropped exhaust valve seat on a startup...that sometimes has its plusses because you didn't want to leave for home/work anyway
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine is running like a top now, am happy!

However, when I check the oil (changed the oil about a week ago or so), I notice the level is getting higher... it's now about an inch above the top line.

It's not fuel injected so I know an injector isn't leaking of course... my only suspect is the Purolator brand fuel pump. I took off the gas line and turned the key and it filled up an empty cottage cheese container within 10 seconds or so. Maybe too much pressure? Perhaps it doesn't have a pressure sensor as it runs/clicks constantly even when the van isn't running.
MikeD81
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the oil smell like gas?

How much oil did you put in during the oil change? You probably already know this but when you check your oil it should be at least 15 mins after your engine has been sitting on a FLAT surface to let the oil settle to the bottom of the engine.

I am glad you are paying attention though, gas in your oil can do some real damage to your engine if you don't notice it.

Cheers.

Mike.
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T into a fuel line and check your fuel pressure....anything over 7 psi will probably creap past the needle/seat in the bowl and end up in the crankcase.....a perforated diaphram on the old mechanical pump will also end up in the case. I am assuming you have an electric pump so it shouldn't run all the time with the key on.....adjustable FP regs are fairly cheap
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smelled the oil and I think there is a gas smell to it but it's tough when everything already smells like oil/gas Smile It is a VW!

And yes I checked it again after a quick drive around the block when I changed the oil and it was right at the top line.

I will check the gas pressure, I would think it's over 7psi for sure. Where can I get one of the fuel pressure regulators? That's a great idea! There is a fuel shut off valve installed after the fuel pump that the previous owner had installed...
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on another note main bearings running up to .005 clearance and rods up to .0025 rely on a pushed oil wedge when running between Babitt and journals. Gas in oil can scintillate babbit on startup before pressure and oil wedge is achieved.Once that happens the babbit is fucked till you reach the copper backing and lose the ability to maintain the wedge with any oil pressure
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old fuel pressure/vacuum guage every body used to sell works fine ...plastic barbed T's or go direct to pump outlet...JB Auto would be cheaper than Lordco and probably Can Tire...I can lend you a guage but they are cheap and uaually laying around. I pay their cost at JB and Lordco (1/2 price usually)if you want to PM me and run it thru my company name
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll pick one up - so why the T connector though? Is it an inline gauge that restricts flow or ?
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes it is easy to just T into a fuel line and on a late FI engine you want to know what the pressure regulator is doing while running BUT in your case you can just attach to the pump and turn on the key....you will quite probably need a reg when it's all said and done
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just double checked and there is no fuel regulator, just the manual shut off valve.

There's definitely too much fuel pressure, I'll grab an inline fuel regulator from Lordco tomorrow (I have an acct there, unless JB would be a better bet?).... so you mentioned a regulator that is 7PSI max? Or should I go lower, say 4PSI or so?
haywirebutton
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant on a decent needle/seat and properly adjusted float.....7 psi is about ALL it could handle without some flooding but not at all neccessary. Most regs are adjustable and alot of them come preadjusted between 2-3 psi...that is MORE than adequate to feed your carbs or even a couple of 40's. Holley makes one that is 2.7 psi and somewhat adjustable....anything like that would be fine. Accel,Jegs etc. all go from1-7 psi for carbed engines. Should be 20-30 bucks for what you need.
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice, will pick one up tomorrow and aim for 2-3 PSI model (or an adjustable one).
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed one from Lordco - it's adjustable from 1-7 PSI, so I set it at 2.5. Just spliced it into the fuel hose after the electronic fuel pump.

Going to go camping for the weekend if all goes well so hopefully the oil level will be the same when I get back home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 2 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: