Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Just picked up a 73 Westfalia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just picked up a 73 Westfalia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Just picked up a 73 Westfalia Reply with quote

Hi VW folks

Just picked up a 73 Westy - spending the day going over a few things, have some questions:

- runs like a top, but if I want to go to single carb is it possible? Worth doing or ? Not familiar with the dual card setup in case something happens somewhere...
- checking the shocks - how do I know if they need replacement? I can move them all up and down with both hands (have just removed the top bolt on all four), one I can move with one hand but still resistance... all ok or ?
- it has an aftermarket fuel pump (some Purolator universal one) that is always clicking, even if the key is on and not running. shouldn't it stop after a while? any suggestions?
- the pop top has the hinge at the front and there's no bed up there, can I put one in or did it come with one?

- it has no gas heater, but has the mount/exhaust pipe for one. Is there an aftermarket one I can put in there or do I need to find an original VW one?
- it's also missing the blower fan for heat so those must be easy to find (just thinking out loud)

thanks!
bluebus
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel pump is a reciprocating pump.
As long as the key is turned on it will click.
The noise is the pump ,pumping fuel.

mitchy965
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

single carbs on type 4 engines suck,go duals or stay stock.
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the fuel pump, is there one I can get that will stop after a bit instead of trying to keeping working if the key is on (ie listening to the radio?)...

And for the carb, it has stock dual Solex setup (all stock I believe). Did the 74 have the same setup? And 72 had single carb didn't it?
bluebus
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I could suggest on the fuel pump is to run a cut switch to it.
66beetle
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire the fuel pump through an inverting relay to the oil light. So, when the oil light is on, the fuel pump is off.
Busaddict
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donandrobin wrote:
For the fuel pump, is there one I can get that will stop after a bit instead of trying to keeping working if the key is on (ie listening to the radio?)...

And for the carb, it has stock dual Solex setup (all stock I believe). Did the 74 have the same setup? And 72 had single carb didn't it?
Do not sit with the electric fuel pump ticking away with motor off. I believe the '73 has an accessory position in the ignition key switch which is just slightly before the ignition position. Turning to ignition (showing red alternator and oil lights) without starting would also run the risk of burning out your coil.

Dual Solex carbs can be rebuilt for around $500 for the pair. Ellice is one of the few places that can do it. I believe the dual Solex set up came in with the 1700 engine in '72, definitely on the '73 and '74 motors.
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the Westfalia a bit more since the sun has finally come out.

I need sheet metal for the entire bottom floor, it looks like 2 separate pieces... where's the best place to get it from?

And is it possible to put a bed up top, or did a 73 not have the ability? I had a 71 and it had a bed.. so you should be able to right?

Also need tires, I believe I need 2 ply side, and 2 ply poly/steel... or can I get away with 1 ply side... think it's too heavy.

Will have it done, painted and ready to go by end of May. Then road trip down south to Grand Canyon and some old ghost towns... ! Smile
Busaddict
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey donandrobin: You might like this, a '73 interior on UsedVictoria...if I had a barn to store all these things Smile

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/VW-Volkswagen-Westfalia--Weekender-Camping-Interior_22024170
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol that's my ad for the weekender interior out of my other 73... which was a Hannover conversion... Smile
Busaddict
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I have the same overhead closet above the back seat in my '73 Westfalia weekender, interesting.
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some time in the sun over the weekend doing lots, including having fun working on the VW... planning a trip down to Mexico, maybe in the fall. Wouldn't mind heading to the Arctic Circle as well in the next few weeks, something we wanted to do ages ago.

I sanded and painted the stock 14" rims today, and am going to be getting new tires next week. I believe I need 195/75/14 "c" load or better (41 psi minimum?) Anybody know the least expensive tires that will work? And where to get them? The ones on there now are standard passenger car tires and I want ones with better sidewall support.

And do 15" Vanagon rims have the same bolt pattern as my 14"s? I heard going to 15" rims and tires is safer and the thing to do.
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a set of stock 185 r14 tires 8 ply and have them on the bus. It sits a few inches higher now.

Fixed a few misc things, starts up perfect every time. Itching to go on end of summer road trip.

One thing - when its running it blows a bit of "black" out of the exhaust... Its not blue so am i right in suspecting a stuck valve or ?

Will wire in the inverted relay to the oil light for the fuel pump. Brilliant idea Devin!
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a closer look at the engine, and on the upper right (drivers side), one of the carburetor shut off valves nearest the front of the van (? that clicks on with power, I think it's the shut off valve) had electrical tape on it in because the threads are too small... and the tape was stick around the little needle pusher thing. I took it out, and pulled one from my other 73 and now there's little or no black smoke at all as this other one works.

Thing is, the one I took from my other 73, the thread is also too small but it's the right size otherwise (the other one was twice the size, I'll take some pics). It's just sitting in there now, not tight because I can't screw it in. Is there different size threads or ?? I can hear the air getting by it...
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update - packed up the van for camping on Saturday morning and while on our way to visit a friend first, we made it about two blocks and had to turn around. Van kept backfiring and literally had no power...

After many hours of trying to figure it out had to take the Ford Escape.

So yesterday I bought new plugs, cap, rotor, points. I have a spare coil and extra set of wires ...

I noticed some of the hoses were on wrong... for example, the DVDA hoses were on reverse to the carb (dual stock Solex carbs) which would explain the backfiring. The flaps as well that open when the thermostat expands were stuck, so I lubricated them and they move freely now.

The fuel filter was also original full of stuff (no rust but other misc gross stuff). Replaced that as well.

** On a side note, I've always seen the fuel pump before the filter, but this one the filter comes first - does it make a difference?

I also did the timing (10 ATDC).

So now it runs great, while parked... and if I press the gas down the engine slowly revs up and doesn't backfire. But when I try and drive it, it takes a while to get the revs up, like it's not getting enough fuel or spark or ... ?

I'm going to undo the gas line and see how much fuel is coming through. I can only suspect either an air leak or perhaps the vacuum on the distributor is bad? Any thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 2 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: