Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Lowering a '74 bay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lowering a '74 bay
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt94gt
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I plan on lowering my 72' at some point. Right now it seems to sit lower in the rear, but I think this is how they all are. Ive priced out wagenwest stuff and all said and done with labour it will be around $2k which is quite a bit. Im going to look into franklins and I would probably get them to do the install as well assuming its about the same price.

Now what other options do I have? Adjusters in the front seems like a good idea. It does have aftermarket bilstein shocks on it. Im thinking I'd like to drop the front about 5" rear maybe just 2". Keep in mind im not a welder, nor have a shop to work in. I dont mind spending the extra money to go the wagenwest/franklins route as I heard its the 'proper' way to do it. But if the other method is fine and the cost is much less I might just go that way.
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt - another option is to conne3ct with Geoff Peterson in the vancouver VW club

http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=23032.msg146201#msg146201

he makes drop spindles too
matt94gt
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCP wrote:
Matt - another option is to conne3ct with Geoff Peterson in the vancouver VW club

http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=23032.msg146201#msg146201

he makes drop spindles too

Good to know, I like the fact the guys down in WA do installs too, so you know its being done right.
alp
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another source that is local is Geoff Peterson on the airspeed site.

note to myself....read through the responses first... he has done many Bay window spindles and beams etc..
matt94gt
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So im sort of on the fence about lowering it. Its such a clean, original bus Im not sure if I want to do anything permanent. Is there anything I can do to level it out more, and maybe just drop the front a few inches?
alp
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a hold of Geoff. He has done many bay window buses and can help you out. He is very approachable.
matt94gt
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
MikeD81
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt,

Take a look at your rear torsion arm bushings. My bus sat low and it turns out the bushings were totally shot and crumbling.... Not saying thats the case with your bus but 42 year old rubber won't last forever.

Personally I vote for the drop spindles... and I also highly recommend this sway bar its pretty remarkable the difference:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4051

Cheers.

Mike.
matt94gt
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeD81 wrote:
Hey Matt,

Take a look at your rear torsion arm bushings. My bus sat low and it turns out the bushings were totally shot and crumbling.... Not saying thats the case with your bus but 42 year old rubber won't last forever.

Personally I vote for the drop spindles... and I also highly recommend this sway bar its pretty remarkable the difference:

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4051

Cheers.

Mike.

Thanks Ill take a peek, I know the shocks/struts were replaced, so I'd imagine they might do those as well. All the boots and bushings looked great when I inspected them but might of over looked those ones.

Lowering with drop spindles is there much custom fab work? I really want to make it so in the future I can reverse the process to make the Bus original again if possible, which is why Im thinking against lowering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 2 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: