Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Lowering a '74 bay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lowering a '74 bay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Lowering a '74 bay Reply with quote

My wife is complaining of sea-sickness when taking corners and roundabouts, so it's time to go low. I've got a mechanic, all I need now is a parts list and where to get it! I'm not looking scrape the ground just a few inches on the front and maybe a little on the rear too, depending what things cost. All help is really appreciated as it's all gobbldeegook to me!
73hightop
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of good reading here,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156211

but a basic list would be: beam adjusters:

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/bus-front-suspension/1955-67-bus-frontend/1955-79-wagenswest-beefcake-bus-beam-adjusters.html

or a set of dropped spindles by Wagon's West and a set of Rear drop plates.
spindles are just over 3hun and the drop plates are around 3hun.

or you could just go with the beam adjusters and re-adjust your rear splines to bring the back down abit....cheapest and easiest.

keep us updated on your progress, good luck with your project.
mandkvanagon
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagenswest is great they offer every part you could need to lower your bus. The only issue with them is how long they take to ship orders. I ordered a narrowed beam, drop spindles and rear u-plates in April and i am still waiting. Every time i phone them they say it will be one more week. It is quite frustrating, i have 1900 bucks tied up with them and haven't seen a thing yet. But what can i do.... just have to wait. I just phoned them today and was informed "sorry we are taking so long we are just slow down hear!"

Just keep this in mind if you are wanting to lowered your bus within the next 3 to 4 months Rolling Eyes
mandkvanagon
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked to Franklin at Franklin's VW Werks they also offer beams adjusters and drop spindles. He told me he would have my beam drop spindles and u-plates at my door in a 7 to 10 day guaranteed. There customer service is much better then wagenswest. If i were you i would go with Franklins VW Werks http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/Products_beams2.html
Ed
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 for franklin. I went in there and personally picked up all the stuff to lower the '65 and he was top notch. Real helpful and a nice guy to boot.
Jer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandkvanagon wrote:
I just talked to Franklin at Franklin's VW Werks they also offer beams adjusters and drop spindles. He told me he would have my beam drop spindles and u-plates at my door in a 7 to 10 day guaranteed. There customer service is much better then wagenswest. If i were you i would go with Franklins VW Werks

http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/Products_beams2.html

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll take a look at the website now. I'm not sure yet when it'll be done but I'll get plenty of pics before, during and after.
leducland
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to do anything drastic I recommend going with adjusters in the front and simply lowering a spline in the back. Don't forget to cut the bump stops off in the front.

I used these: http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-401-021-268

Personally I don't love the idea of the drop spindles that are welded. I would wait until a cast version is readily available. The welded version increases the wheel offset and then you will need to narrow the beam as well.

What I did only cost $100 dollars and some elbow grease. With a good set of Pirelli tires I noticed a huge difference in handling. A trip to to Tofino is way more enjoyable after the lowering. The handling is so much better.

lowered-bay.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  345 Time(s)

lowered-bay.jpg

Jer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leducland wrote:
If you don't want to do anything drastic I recommend going with adjusters in the front and simply lowering a spline in the back. Don't forget to cut the bump stops off in the front.

Personally I don't love the idea of the drop spindles that are welded. I would wait until a cast version is readily available. The welded version increases the wheel offset and then you will need to narrow the beam as well.

What I did only cost $100 dollars and some elbow grease. With a good set of Pirelli tires I noticed a huge difference in handling. A trip to to Tofino is way more enjoyable after the lowering. The handling is so much better.

This is more along the lines I was thinking. And my wifes!! I haven't got the spare cash to got the full deal so i will be checking this out. Thanks very much!
Jer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leducland wrote:

Ok, I just checked the link. Is that all I need? No shocks? no nothing else?
leducland
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, just the adjusters x2. No shock changes or anything.

It's a bit of a bitch of work and some welding but it's all straightforward. Plenty of instruction available in the Samba forums.
Bugeater
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Nice!! Reply with quote

Bus looks good man!

How many inches can you drop that way?
leducland
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 8" depending on wheels and tires. ride gets worse the lower you go of course. I went down about 5 or 6 inches. Might try a little lower with slightly lower profile tires on the front.
vango
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering a '74 bay Reply with quote

Jer wrote:
My wife is complaining of sea-sickness when taking corners and roundabouts, so it's time to go low. I've got a mechanic, all I need now is a parts list and where to get it! I'm not looking scrape the ground just a few inches on the front and maybe a little on the rear too, depending what things cost. All help is really appreciated as it's all gobbldeegook to me!

This whole thread should be a "StickY" thread for sure. Wink

Plus We don't have that many Stickys in our "Type II" column yet Embarassed

Bugeater
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 INCHES Shocked

Thats awesome!! I didn't realize you could drop it that much that way!!
I have been trying to find a company that does airshocks for a Bay but with no success. It seems like all the companies like http://airkewld.com only do bugz and split windows. I know you can fabricate mounts or pay thousands to get them put on but im looking to try and do it myself, and a bolt on kit was what I was hoping for Sad

The "lowering a bay" sticky on the Samba is good but it's confusing, and with so many people writing in to the forum your questions seem to get passed over and left un-answered. I think it needs to be separated into the three (I think there is three?) different ways of doing it. Just a thought.

It would be sweet to have a DIY with pictures area too, where guys can post how they do things to there bus and us newbs can learn the ways!! Something sorta like this....

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html

This was super helpful when I pulled my engine.

Anyways man the Bus looks great throw up some pics when you put the low pros on Cool
panel
Turbo
Turbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Ratwwell engine removal tutorial is the bomb Idea

Very well documented and nice jacks Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 2 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: