Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Smokin Hot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smokin Hot
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Smokin Hot Reply with quote

Nothing beats a vDub that leaks and smokes over two liters of oil in less than one week.

I have also recently been enjoying a screaming electrical type of sound which seems to have started shortly after installing a new alt. A screaming sound that seems to come and go at different rpms.
Some of you may of heard it when I left the club meeting.

The motor is soo hot that I can see the gas bubbling in the fuel filter.
I'll be yanking it out tomarrow after fathers day celebrations. (Remeber to call your Dads there people!)

I think it is time for new rings and anything else I see that will help keep the oil in the car.

Ahhhh VW fun...

Wish me luck. I may even post some pics simply because it will be the first time I pull this motor out on this dub.

Hope to have it all tickety boo and NOT leaking n smokin' anymore.
I am sure Hillside Mall will appreciate that on the 26th if that lil Herbie
promo is still on.

Hmm, I think I should put the decklid stand offs back on.

Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your motor is properly tuned (and designed if it's an aftermarket engine) then it shouldn't need decklid standoffs in the temps of late. (unless it's like a 2 litre or something). I was driving my car around all day today and the oil temp never went past 180. I suspect that once you've rebuilt that thing and got it tuned up real nice, it will run much cooler.
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1600dp, Single carb. - Stand offs are never really needed but they look cool Wink

Had to remove the fan shroud/alt to remove the last bolt and clear my apron when pulling it out.
I don't ever recall having to do that extra step before - meh
I noticed that a fuel line from the pump had a crack in it and it may be possible that my screeming sound could have came from there but I doubt it.

Having the motor benched will make it alot easier to work around.
Gotta paint the header and exhausts - never did it when I got it new and looks all rusty now.

It should be fun exploring this tomarrow if I don't get called into work.
Hopefully I will not find too many expensive surprises.

The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screaming sound eh. Was your fan shroud loose at all? Could the fan have been rubbing? Was the belt loose? Both of those are big causes of screeching sounds. It could also be a bad bearing in the alternator.

How far are you tearing the engine down? Are you pulling heads and cylinders, or just heads? If both, try to leave the head studs in place. If a stud comes out though, use some non-hardening sealant on the threads when you put it back in. Use heat and oil resistant silicone sparingly on the cylinder bases. Also check your oil cooler seals.

So you had to remove your fan shroud to clear the apron? That's because your jack stands were bigger when you were younger.
66beetle
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I pull my motor (I do this far too often) I find a good way to get it out from under the car is to take one of the back wheels off and slide it out through the fender. Then you can usually get away with leaving the fan shroud in place.
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ovalzealous wrote:
That's because your jack stands were bigger when you were younger.

So were Canadian Mint Ice Cream Bars.

Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine removal trick I recently discovered: After the engine is unbolted and sitting on the floor, place a jack (the old scissor type works great) with a short 2x4 on top under the pan just forward of where the rear frame horns come together. You can now very easily get the car high enough to pull the engine out. Just be careful not to bump the car though, it's pretty tippy way up there.
Ovalzealous
The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like the dents that come from cars being in a tippy state. I'd want some form of stand under there once it is up there. One method that worked well for me was putting the car on a sawhorse. You can cut one down to the height you need and ideally put it where 68IIIBuggy said. And never put yourself under a car that is not SOLIDLY supported. Hydraulic jacks can fail without warning.
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically just jacked the thing up as high as my jack would take it.
I got some great stands which I used
I probly could of cleared the apron w/o removing the fan shroud but my fat hands couldn't get at the last nut behind it on the left.

I sold my engine stand long ago and am now using a metal trash can - w00t. - here is a pic of my high tech stand.

I am about to pull off the j-pipes and header...I soaked those studs w WD40....I hope I don't snap another stud like the one I snapped when I pulled off the stock heater boxes.

*crosses finger*

The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that if you can get some heat on the nuts they tend to come off without breaking. Oxy-Acetylene would be ideal but I have had luck with a plumbing torch. Get the hottest fuel you can for one of those. I think it's Mapp gas. Bit hotter than propane if I recall.
66beetle
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ovalzealous wrote:
I have found that if you can get some heat on the nuts they tend to come off without breaking. Oxy-Acetylene would be ideal but I have had luck with a plumbing torch. Get the hottest fuel you can for one of those. I think it's Mapp gas. Bit hotter than propane if I recall.

Heat doesn't always do it. (personal experience) Sometimes, those things are just gonna snap off and that's that.

NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 did the trick.
I did also buy a cylinder of propane for torching em if needed. - Didn't

So with two different people telling me that I was pushing mad smoke out my drivers side I assumed rings.

Pulled off the head n cylinders to find that the rings were just fine.

Time for new plugs n wires. - Can you say scorched piston heads?
It's like black stucco. - Yummy. Reminds me of my BBQ grill when I forget to clean it.

Anyone have a hint to check out if the oil cooler rad is still good?

The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the look of the tops of your pistons I would say your rings ARE dead. That kind of carbon in the cylinders is a big indicator of burning oil. Try to get a pic of the piston skirts and also one of the intake tract in the head. Then we can see where you are at for wear.
hi-top
Snow Monkey
Snow Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is exciting!!! Like a reality t.v. show... How will it end? Will sixtyfizzi make it to the mall in time? Shocked What IS the problems and how will he deal with them??? Stay tuned...
Clay
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've come this far, replacing the rings now is a damned good idea...

Too many parts to count. Mostly type 1, FOR SALE! Message me with your needs...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: