Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - [[size=18]b]Chitty! Chitty Bang! Bang![/b] Webber carb &
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[[size=18]b]Chitty! Chitty Bang! Bang![/b] Webber carb &

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aircoolaid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: [[size=18]b]Chitty! Chitty Bang! Bang![/b] Webber carb & Reply with quote

It feels like i'm learning to drive again, I have a Webber progressive Carb and the bosch 009 and it has a flat spot and back fires in second gear on the first start of the day! and the problem with flat spot is intermittent, happens more times then not! Thinking of going OEM with the carb and distributor and selling this combo unless there is a fix!
could someone let me know please.
And if there is any good VW mechanics in Campbell River.
Thank You
Tim
ehos
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single webber?

If so you have the two worst things to 'tune'. The single webber is horrible, and that 009 is just garbage.

You are way better off with stock dizzy and stock carb.
Aircoolaid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Chitty! Chitty! Bang! Bang! Reply with quote

It is a progressive which starts off with the first half of the carb and then opens up the second Barrell, so that would probably make it even worse to tune! I've heard that this seems to be a common problem wonder why they sell it. It is not good performance when you can't get off the line. Any good places for Carb which one should I get for my ,73 Super 1600?
Thanks
Tim
JamesT
Rusty
Rusty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32/36 webber progressive carbs are horrible on VW's unless they are jetted perfectly. I had one on my double cab for a while, which ran awesome with the second barrel restricted to only open a third. A lot of torque (which may explain what happened to my tires). After I got tired of the crappy top end performance of having less carberation than stock though, I tossed a pair of Kadrons on and lost barely any torque and gained enough top end to push the bugger over 90Mph. I now run 40mm DRLA's on the motor, which gives me better top and bottom end performance, but for an almost stock motor, Kadrons are a good upgrade and pretty reasonably priced (around $300 used or under $500 new). A stock 1600 with dual Kadrons and quietpack style exhaust would give good highway driving and decent fuel economy if tuned correctly, or you could always use a stock carb and exhaust.
68IIIbuggy
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a pretty much stock engine dual kadrons or stock carb are in my opinion the only way to go. Both are easy to tune and troubleshoot.
Aircoolaid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your Help!
Awesome club! I will keep posted for a bug run! on the mid and upper island and check out other peoples Rides!
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: