Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - 1979 bus off highway idle issues and more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1979 bus off highway idle issues and more
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike20
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: 1979 bus off highway idle issues and more Reply with quote

Alright! I have been working on this problem for awhile and I am out of ideas here.

If I am driving off the highway at high RPMs and slow down to stop my idle remains high. I have petronix electric ignition because who wants to deal with points? Last weekend I ripped my vacuum system completely apart looking for leaks and tightened everything back down with clamps. My EGR valve hole is nicely plugged up and I have ruled that out too. So what is going on here? I am going to check if my distributor is sticky today but I am out of ideas.

Another problem that I haven't found anyone else having online is that my engine timing likes to "travel" from -7.5 BTDC towards -12 over the course of two weeks before I have to adjust it again. Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

Lastly, has anyone dealt with an oil breather box spewing oil? It is making my engine bay a mess. What might cause this to happen?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 78 bus and would love to hear any suggestions that come up...
brenticon
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old post but ...
... revs stay high, sounds like distributor issue. Vacuum or bearings?
... Oil breather spewing, crank case pressure relief? Rings?
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a bit of the day today "playing" with our 78 Bus and it turns out the seals for the fuel injector on the second piston were in rough shape. The slightest spray of injector cleaner in the area revved the engine right up! I used injector cleaner and checked every connection, hose, etc... also found the check valve for the master cylinder was leaking. So happy to finally figure it out!

Always nice to fix two things at once. Never happens!

Last edited by donandrobin on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the o-rings for the 1st and 2nd fuel injector today, and put everything back together. Double checked everything... however I can still hear air being sucked in past the injectors.

The old o-rings weren't terrible, however they were soft and squishy. The new ones are definitely noticeably firmer.

Did I miss something? Is there something else I should check? What could it be besides the o-rings? The injectors for piston 3 and 4 are perfect, if I spray injector cleaner on them there is no difference in idle, but there certainly is when I do the same thing on the 1 and 2 piston side.

The only thing I can think is the little metal brackets (with the hole in the middle for the injector) that hold the injectors in are slightly bent from years of use?

Appreciate some advice.
brenticon
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe swap sides with them
If they work on one side, you'd think they'd work on try other.
Quick and easy check for sure
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read on the samba it could be the intake manifold gaskets... it would be difficult to tell if the injector cleaner is being sucked in past the injectors or the gasket since they are so close. I'll try to narrow it down tomorrow to see exactly what's going on.
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the manifold intake gasket today (just the passenger side at the moment) and it fixed the problem, 100%. When I took the old one gasket off, you could see where more than half the felt gasket was missing and likely sucked inside the engine and burnt up.

Was able to *finally* properly adjust the timing and now it doesn't stall when coming to a stop like it used to (unless the timing was turned way up).

The passenger side gasket appears to be something that needs to be replaced often from what I found when searching online, but not sure why. Just glad it's fixed. I had replaced the fuel injector seals earlier but it didn't turn out to be what was wrong, although from the condition of the old ones it looked like it was the problem. I'll do the gasket and seals on the driver's side in the next few days for good measure.
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was working on the bus a bit more today, and noticed a few things. Does anyone know what the cable is, on the passenger side (see photo) that has three prongs in it?

And there is also one near the heater fan that's not plugged in, and not sure what it's for or where it goes (took a photo as well). It's a little tough to see, but it's in the brown wire in the middle running along the yellow wire.

The BIG question is now that I've replaced the intake manifold gasket, and adjusted the timing, and now that it runs absolutely perfect, the ONLY thing is it takes forever to start when cold. I have to try turning it over for a minute at intervals before it finally sputters and starts... and then you can tell once it warms up after about a minute or so, it idles PERFECTLY. Is it the cold start injector or ? Otherwise it runs BEAUTIFULLY.

IMG_0283.JPG
 Description:
What is this three prong cable for?
 Filesize:  2.42 MB
 Viewed:  14 Time(s)

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG
 Description:
Where does this connector go? (the brown wire behind the yellow wire in the middle)
 Filesize:  2.18 MB
 Viewed:  16 Time(s)

IMG_0289.JPG

brenticon
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top pic I believe was for tuning type device.
I think it picks something up off the fly wheel
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was probably top of the line tech in 1978! Would love to find the tool/computer attachment for it if anybody has one?
brenticon
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this for you ...

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TDCMarker.html
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is cool... love to try one of those machines if anybody has one? I'll have a look on ebay...
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the cold start valve, and it appears to be working. I sprayed some injector cleaner in it but it does spray perfectly in a cone shape.

I noticed the timing was out again... down to about 4 ATDC instead of 7.5 BTDC. I adjusted it back... this was a few days ago and it seems to be ok now. If it goes out again, I'll post an update.

Starts great but sometimes takes a few seconds of cranking time, idles perfectly... so nice to have it running as it should. It was like this since we bought it so it's a relief to have it fixed and tuned up properly.

Last edited by donandrobin on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
donandrobin
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing appears to stay consistent now. Perfectly at BTDC 7.5 ... but takes a few seconds to crank it over, and about 5-6 seconds when it's cold in the morning. Wish I knew what it was. I'm going to check the injectors one by one over the weekend to ensure the spray/volume is ok.

Last edited by donandrobin on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 2 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: