Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - newbie question: anyone import a Type 2 from Brazil?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie question: anyone import a Type 2 from Brazil?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverfinished

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: newbie question: anyone import a Type 2 from Brazil? Reply with quote

I'm new here so I apologize in advance if this topic has been exhausted or stickied - I did a few searches but could not find an answer.

Wife wants a rust-free split window bus (7 seats) and I want an upright engine powering it. The more "stock" /original the better, but we're not after museum-quality perfection, just something we can load a bunch of kids into and go camping, and fit into the mall parking lot without actually being in a Dodge Caravan. Yes, I'm fairly handy (and not a bad welder), but no, I do not want a project. We would rather pay for something that just needs occasional tinkering. An early 1970s bus from Brazil seems like a good idea?

Anyone gone through the import process?

Anyone know of any reason it could not be registered and driven here on Vancouver Island?

Can anyone tell me why this might be a BAD idea?
Greg
Emo Mod
Emo Mod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's 15 years or older you shouldn't have any issue bringing it into Canada. I would talk to ICBC about this first but I don't see why it would be an issue. Assuming that it passes a mechanical inspection and everything meets DOT (lights and tires but to are interchangeable with all the vans we got) I'd say it would be a great idea.

Are you looking for a split window or baywindow (or the weird hybrids that had down there) I'm sure purists would be upset but screw them, the vans are cool.

Wongai
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often considered it. Some of them look really cool. A couple just showed up on thesamba recently. I look forward to hearing how this goes for you. Keep us updated if you don't mind.

And I agree, the purists will give you a hard time, but don't worry about it. Get what you like.
B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 2 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: