Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Crazy signal light giving me grief. Need some experience.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crazy signal light giving me grief. Need some experience.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
68bluebeetle
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Crazy signal light giving me grief. Need some experience. Reply with quote

Got the car close to complete, but am having trouble with the wiring. Its a stock 1500 68 bug, and I had most of the wiring working, but kept burning out the wire from my headlight switch to the speedometer night lights. So I did a full yank on all wires and started fresh.
I have done pretty good... fuse panel all good, emergency working, headlights working, signals working from the relay, brake lights. But the front driver signal is really dim, and as such, when the headlights and park lights are one, it cant be seen. As well I still have my original problem with the wire from 58b of my light switch to the two lights on the speedo for night illumination does not work, and I have burned quite a few sets of wires trying.
Im sure with all the expertise of the bug people of this club, a helping hand might be available. I sure would appreciate it, and would be happy to trade my time paying it forward. I have done most of the restore of this bug myself, and as such Im sure I could help someone starting out. Also I have quite a few parts left over from my build, and if you have a 68 Im sure it would make your part search easier.
Please let me know at 68bluebeetle@gmail.com or call me, Steve, at 250 589 4118. Thanks a lot.

stude
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: burnt wires Reply with quote

The wires are burning is because the wire is not going through the socket and light to ground somehow it is going straight to ground check the contacts at the light socket maybe shorted. The other problem follow he current flow with a tester and wiggle the connections with signal on till you find the poor contact try running a ground wire from body to signal housing and see it it is a ground issue there is only power in and through the light then straight to ground through those small bolts and star washer at the fender the reason the wires are burning is the power is coming from either 16 or maybe even 25 amp fuses through the switch that switch powers all your lights not just those little lights lots of power to that switch.
Terry
68bluebeetle
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: crazy light problems Reply with quote

Terry, thanks for the reply. I have just got home from work, excited to check an options you talked about. The wire from 58b to my speedo lights has another wire connected to it. The connection of the light, on the driver side of the speedo is connected to the light in the stock am car radio. I will try disconnect it, and see if that is what is causing the wire to burn out over and over. The wire from 58b of the light switch then only connects unrestricted to the speedo lights, which I have removed, and checked the bulbs. The contacts, I used steel wool to clean the contacts. This is issue number one. Wish me luck.

Issue number 2, the low glowing of my driver side signal light...I have disassembled and used direct grounding from my battery a few days back, and it does not change the low illumination. The nuts, bolts, and star washers are tight and as good as they get. (Not to mention a week ago before I did the big wire yank, it worked perfectly. I just wish I could remember how it was hooked up differently). I will take you advise and I will try check all the connections to fuse box and relay again, and do as you say and give them a re-clean and wiggle. Lets hope you are right.

Thanks so much for you help and time, and I will let you know how it turned out.

Stephen

stude
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: dash lights Reply with quote

don't pull on the spades it in return it pulls the spring and damages the contact at the button try and get them apart by the lip or the body of the socket even when changing bulbs they damage easily.
T
68bluebeetle
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Wires Reply with quote

Terry, got the dash wires and lights all working. It turned out to be a radio light wire that piggy backed the red wires to the lights. I took it off and all is well. And surprisingly enough, the radio light also continued to work???
As for the driver blinker it still is not fixed. We put meter on the bulb socket and one connection is showing constant 12 A, the other is fluctuating a charge when the blinker is on. Tried swapping bulbs from the other blinker, and it still is a dim signal. And when the park and head lights are on, the signal light bulb is so faint it can not be seen. The ground was continuous. I just can't figure it out???

68bluebeetle
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: All sorted out with my wiring Reply with quote

Terry, as you have been so helpful, thought I would not just let this thread hang.
I did figure out the last problem, that with the driver side blinker not working when the lights were on, and dim compared to the other side when the lights were off.
It turned out after my paint job, I had problems with one of the wires to the light, as it was so short, I replaced it. When I did, I switched the black with the red at the light socket. Once I switched it back, instant change in how things performed. All was good. I had to tamper and wiggle the bulb around to get it to make contact, so I tried several other bulbs and they all did the same thing, so I will soon be replacing the seating for the bulb with an other. In the mean time, a lick of tin foil is keeping the bulb tight in the socket, and all is well.
Thanks for all your help, and if ever you see my blue 68 rolling around town, give me a shout out. I have white mud flaps if that helps id me better.
Stephen B

stude
Hardcore VW Geek
Hardcore VW Geek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

I knew once you got poking around in there you would figure it out I will keep my eyes open for you when I'm in Victoria.
T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: