Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

     Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

     Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - turbo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

turbo
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
panel
Turbo
Turbo


Joined: Oct 28, 2003
Posts: 3022
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesT wrote:
. The turbocharger I have is somewhat largish, but I got it for free, so it was worth it.
James what is it? Do you have a pic? Brand?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Greg
Emo Mod
Emo Mod


Joined: Jul 02, 2005
Posts: 5786
Location: Hiding in the dark, waiting to strike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drivingbluebaja wrote:
Greg wrote:
Interesting..... big turbos can be good things....


Mostly only in a drag car.


Whats your point, its a good thing.

Thanks Marc.

_________________
Because I Can
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JamesT
Rusty
Rusty


Joined: May 11, 2004
Posts: 1085
Location: Some outer spiral arm of the milky way

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turbocharger I got is off of a Plymouth sundance 2.2L Turbo. The only reason I even considered using it on my 2.0L is because it seemed somewhat undersized on the sundance. If you really give'r, she was putting out about 8psi at 2500rpm within a second or two. To my understanding, VW engines require smaller turbos for the displacement of the engines because of the short strokes relative to other 1.6, 1.8, or 2.0L engines found in most other cars. Because of this, my setup probably won't work as well as it could, but it will be a good learning experience for me.

I don't have the specs on it, since it's still sitting in my buddy's garage, but I think it's made by Garret.

_________________
<span class="Apple-style-span"><div>&lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://www.vvwc.ca/albums/album42/rabbitsig.jpg&quot;&gt;</div></span>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
panel
Turbo
Turbo


Joined: Oct 28, 2003
Posts: 3022
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James you have a PM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JamesT
Rusty
Rusty


Joined: May 11, 2004
Posts: 1085
Location: Some outer spiral arm of the milky way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
drivingbluebaja wrote:
Greg wrote:
Interesting..... big turbos can be good things....


Mostly only in a drag car.


Whats your point, its a good thing.

Thanks Marc.


It's a good thing, unless you ever have to take your foot off the gas for a second. If you have a motor setup for too big of a turbo, once you loose pressure it'll be gutless. I heard somewhere that when they first released the Porsche 930, they hadn't quite perfected the science of turbo matching and it was way oversized, so it had several seconds or lag. To prevent loosing pressure through corners, drivers would put the clutch in and heel toe the gas and brake to slow down but keep the engine at redline. If they didn't, the car would almost bog for a second or two after the corner and then it would get a burst of power as the turbo finally spooled up. I wish I could remember where I heard about it..

_________________
<span class="Apple-style-span"><div>&lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://www.vvwc.ca/albums/album42/rabbitsig.jpg&quot;&gt;</div></span>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group

Version 2.0.6 of PHP-Nuke Port by Tom Nitzschner © 2002 www.toms-home.com




All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The forum posts are property of their posters, all the rest © 2003 by The Victoria Volkswagen Club.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.35 Seconds