Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Heater Channel steel tubing option
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heater Channel steel tubing option

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raudulfr
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Heater Channel steel tubing option Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has some feedback or if anyone has done the heater channel replacement with 3x4 steel tubing as opposed to putting full heater channels in.
This car will never need heat, it will be our summer cruiser and this is a massive job Sad Took out the carpets only to reveal a crunchy surprise.

Looking forward to input, I have looked online and wondering if this is something I can tackle with basic mig welding or am I selling this car to an experienced welder and finding another project.

Thanks
JB
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion doing that would be a big mistake and probably a lot more work than doing it right weather you need heat or not. Your car would never sell with hunks of heavy gauge rectangular tube scabed in if you ever wanted to offload it.
Heater Channels aren't all that tough to do, there are tons of great how to's on the internet. Just be aware if they're crusty under the carpet that cancer will most definitely be a lot more than you think so if you're gonna tackle it be ready to see it through....to many get abandoned once reality sets in Wink
Raudulfr
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Heater Channel steel tubing option Reply with quote

Yes, I have gone over it and its going to be a massive job. There is light shining through from under the front fenders as well as the rear.
I REALLY want to resurrect this car and not send it away in parts because of some rust. I have never welded but am willing to learn, and the pan will be replaced when the body comes off. I have read about bracing the car once the heater channels come off and am not against getting some replacement metal in there. Front fender on drivers side is off now, truck undercoat is now my demon to deal with on the body, was hoping to find a faster way of getting that off than with a wire brush Sad

I may have to take the car to a pro to have the channels done as it makes me very nervous, however, its a $500 car and don't want to spend 2k fixing just the heater channels. Its never going to be a show car, just our family summer fun, be part of the bug life car Wink

I look at it this way, I could sell it and get another more solid car, but again, you never know what it has to hide, this way....I KNOW what has been done.
WCP
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is the bug? honestly, it will likely be a heck of a lot easier/faster to part out your bug and buy a clean / solid bug. if it's post 57, there are many nice example that come up for sale locally if you are willing to wait for the right one.

if you have never welded, i would not recommend starting with a heater channel replacement. it's not hard, but you need experience under your belt with where to cut, metal thickness, bracing, fabricating and of course welding + finishing.

just think of the time savings... i wish i had. Sad
Raudulfr
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Heater Channel steel tubing option Reply with quote

its a 66, I have it posted in the build forum under 66 project bug. The main body, interior, motor and tranny are good, but doing the math....$500+ for a rolling complete pan, $300+ for heater channels, and that doesn't even address the holes in the fenderwells...or other surprises. $500 for 4 new fenders, now we are at $1300 and it still isn't painted. Plus, time....its never going to be a show car, just fun for our family.

Don't think I haven't considered it.

IMG_3030.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.56 MB
 Viewed:  81 Time(s)

IMG_3030.JPG

CommodoreCollector
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How rough are the current fenders on it? Are they just dented with some rust through where they mount to the body?

Heater channels - Is it the front and rear that have rot through? How is the center section and the rockers?

As WCP suggested the other option would be to buy one that is done; but then you are looking at spending 12-15k+ .
Raudulfr
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Heater Channel steel tubing option Reply with quote

Fenders have rust holes where they attach, and the left front fender needs to be replaced. Potentially fixable fenders on the rear as the pic shows the rest of the fenders are solid. Was surprised to see at the VW show that there were fenders for sale in worse condition than the ones on our car.

Heater channels...They are through at the front corners, and back drivers side corner. after removing carpet, they are crunchy along the door sills as well. The rest of the car, doors, hood, decklid, skirts etc is really solid with very little rust, and what is there is surface.

Would love to find someone to do the heater channel job for me for a reasonable amount of money as I have a replacement pan lined up as the one under there is badly dented due to a ride over the rocks from the previous owner. Center Channel was not damaged.

Motor runs fine, tranny good, seats good.

Thanks for all the input!

IMG_3031.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.56 MB
 Viewed:  81 Time(s)

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.77 MB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)

IMG_3032.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: