Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - HELP!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onewhitezj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: HELP! Reply with quote

Hey guys! First and foremost, I am not a "VW" guy, I would love to own one, but dont have the funds. As for now I am doing the Jeep thing..Sorry guys. I purchased a carburetor from a local swap meet, but dont know what the heck it is. I thought it might work for my Jeep (sorry) but now I am unsure. It says Solex brosol on the top of the float bowl, and says h 30 pic and has a "b" on the lower left of the float. I have been reasearching it and have found various ones on ebay, and other web sites, but they do not resemble the one I purchased. It has an electric something on the side, that appears to plug into something. It has a lower and upper butterfly valves, and both are operated via linkage. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but hey I dont know. This carb (pics dont do justice) appears to be fairly new, or at least in really good shape. It only has a little bit of oil on the bottom adaptor, which has a top flange that is set up for the carb, and the bottom flange is a circle with four matching holes that appear to let you mount the carb in whatever position you like....Does anyone know what this carb is intended for and if it might work on my Jeep motor. The Jeep motor is an L head 134 cu flathead motor original from 1951. Sorry I do not have any more info, just the bad pics. Can anyone help me? I have reasearched this for a while, but am unable to come up with anything. Thanks
Andrew

side carb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.6 KB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)

side carb.jpg

front carb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.71 KB
 Viewed:  254 Time(s)

front carb.jpg

onewhitezj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.t.w. this does bolt up to the Jeeps mainifold, and appears to be the same bore size. I have it bolted to it now, but do not have a working starter to see if it will indeed run with my motor. If any interest in this unit, I will sell to find the correct unit.
Thanks
Andrew
Greg
Emo Mod
Emo Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the 30pic for the 1500sp?

Anyways, the electrical thingy is the choke.

You could always bolt it on your jeep and see if it fires up.

Ovalzealous
The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any carb can be made to work on any given engine. It's just a matter of how well it works.

The carb you have is intended for a low revving 91 cubic inch engine. It may need to be jetted larger to run properly. But it should at least start it.

The adapter is something I have not seen before. Did the seller tell you anything about it at all?

By the way that carb is an aftermarket replacement for the stock unit. Works the same just not the same quality as the german original ones.

I can fix that...
66beetle
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the picture, it looks like the carb is mounted sideways, or the picture is sideways. This carb will only work if it's mounted vertically, with the air intake facing up.
68IIIbuggy
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it is probably for a Renault or some other european car. Solex made carbs for car companys other than VW. Give it a try on your Jeep, it can't hurt. At least with a Solex all the jets are replaceable, so you should be able to tune it to run OK.
JamesT
Rusty
Rusty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electric thing is an idle-fuel cut off to stop it from dieseling when the engine is shut off. The upper butterfly is a choke and on that model is operated by a cable. The carb you have pictured appears to be similar to the 28pic, 28pict and 30pict carburators that were used on type 1 VW's durring the 60's. The 30 refers to the throttle bore in mm on solex carborators. VW's 30mm carb was running on an 89cid engine and doesn't perform above 4500rpm. If your carb has the same sized venturi, and your engine has similar cam profile and airflow dynamics, the carb you have should be able to run your 134cid engine up to around 3000rpm. The fact that it's a flat head motor means that it probably has worse airflow and cam profile, so the small carburator may be enough for your engine. The thing about carburators is that almost anything will work, it's just a matter of how well it will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: