This project seemed appropriate with the weather getting colder.
I tore into the factory BN4 heater. After cleaning out the accumulation of soot, rust, mud daubers, and possibly some asbestos... I set to work cleaning things up for reassembly.
Good thing I had a few spares for parts, the safety switch wouldnít shut off, and the gear that drives the points which in turn pulse the fuel pump was stripped. (Future 3D printing job for overhauling these with new printed gears I think?) The control relay was sketchy too, and worked intermittently when tapped on its side.
After cleaning up the rust, painting it, reassembly and addressing some connector issues, I did a crude bench test, checking fuel pump rate, time before glowplug shut off, output temperature, cool down time, safety switch operation. The factory manual helped demystify any questions I had about these, and they really are quite safe. As safe as the condition of your fuel line I would say.
With our last Ď74 Westfalia I ditched the factory heater, but this time figured it may come in useful for camping in slightly cooler conditions. Yes I know there are Chinesium diesel Espar knockoffs on Amazon etc, but wanted to keep this install a bit cleaner and original. Some pics from along the way.
First test run before temp switch adjustment, pretty toasty
Last edited by zinkengruven on Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
The new front seat covers arrived this week. Custom made by J Luis Alvarez, using the original VW plaid material. Nobody locally could even touch his prices & craftsmanship. Looking forward to overhauling these seats.
A wise person once told me, ďAlways spend a bit more on things that keep you off the ground, whether shoes, mattress, tires, etcĒ
Good advice, plus they cost the same as the cheapo aftermarket seat covers every other VW parts vendor sells.
Now I need to decide on using new cocoa fibre pads or foam. I am leaning towards the cocoa fibres, as Iíve used foam in the past and didnít care for the overstuffed puffy look, and they seemed pretty hot in the summer. Would be interested in hearing from anyone with practical experience using either...
New vs 45+ year old funk
Should reupholster all the seats in the house with this 🙂
Wanted less orange, picked black to tie things together better IMHO
Contact info for the vendor. Excellent to deal with.
Joined: Feb 05, 2006 Posts: 1303 Location: WestShore
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:58 pm Post subject:
Damn! Those are nice covers.
The black is a slick touch.
I agree on the fibre pads, i think it will have that classic look and feel.
True to the o.g. build. _________________ 84 light brown Westfalia- Subaru conversion plus extras!
85 dark brown Westfalia- next project...
I finally got the camper top and new canvas back on. This was just not fun at all to install. The staples for the top tack strips were cake, getting the hinges and hardware back on, no problems.
But dicking around with those 40 or so little screws through the aluminum strips in the bottom canvas was a pain. I had to make a few V relief cuts in the corners to get things to fit right, careful not to cut into the canvas itself. I was ready for a case or two of beer after the last corner. My back, shoulders and hands are still sore a couple days later.
Iím thankful I wasnít doing this in the heat of summer. Also having the upper bunk removed made things easier, canít imagine trying to do that with the bunk in there?
The canvas is the one made for Bus Depot. Iím happy with the quality and fit of it, time will tell how it holds up. This didnít have any canvas when I bought it, so itís an automatic improvement.
After weeks of sourcing materials, cleaning, fixing broken springs, rust-treating, painting, the driver side seat is back to original'ish condition. Better even, seeing as how the factory never put any material between the springs & the 'horsehair' coir pads.
Definitely happy with the quality of materials and the upholstery work that went into making the seat covers. Next week, time for the passenger seat.
I overhauled the front door vent windows this week. Not a difficult job, one that can be done at a leisurely pace while youíre at home on self-quarantine.
I opted not to drill the hinge rivet as the outer frame seals were in decent shape. I did rust treat the frames and give them a new coat of paint. I replaced the felt channels and inside edge rubber seal. Had to use some duct tape to hold the felt channel in place while the 3M adhesive set.
Crusty old seals coming off in pieces.
Rusted frames before treatment & paint
Glueing in felt channels
Ready to reinstall with the rest of the door parts
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum