Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - '94 Eurovan manual shifting issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'94 Eurovan manual shifting issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: '94 Eurovan manual shifting issues Reply with quote

Anybody had sudden shifting problems in an early model Eurovan? Mine is a 1994 diesel with the 5-speed 02B tranny. I was just outside Blairmore on my way to Lethbridge when I attempted to shift into 5th and the engine momentarily revved really high, as if the stick went into a lower gear. After trying a couple of times to get the lever into the correct shift gate (there were no grinding noises), I pulled over and it soon appeared that I had no 5th, 2nd or lst gear, only 3rd and 4th. However, 3rd and 4th were now in the normal shifter positions for 1st and 2nd.

Later, when I limped the van home at 70-75 kph and tried to back up, I discovered that the reverse gear lever position was actually now 1st gear! The lever is also very floppy moving left to right - in neutral it moves much further in each direction than it did before.

After buying the van from the original owner, I had noticed a somewhat notchy, imprecise feel to the shifting (at first I thought it was me, not having driven a stick for many years). The owner also told me getting into 5th was easier if you double-clutch, which was the case. And now after about 8,000 km, the above shifting failure occurred - 150 km from home!

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm hoping to gather info from other owners before I take it in for service. Eurovans are uncommon here in the East Kootenay, so even finding a capable and experienced mechanic is no easy task. Thanks for any help you can offer...
Bow-Wow
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds linkage related for sure. Lots of stuff to wear out there.
Attached is a diagram if the shifter set up. Not all parts are readily available.

BRN30055CE28385_013575.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BRN30055CE28385_013575.pdf
 Filesize:  50.35 KB
 Downloaded:  15 Time(s)

stef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bow Wow for posting this ETKA schematic of my specific shift linkage. It IS a lot of parts, and since Volkswagen lists early Eurovans as "obsolete vehicle" in their dealer information system, I'm not surprised that parts availability may be a problem. Do you also have the parts list with the VAG numbers corresponding to the diagram, or is access to that restricted?

Since my first post, I've learned that some of these moving parts are linked by bushings and ball-and-socket joints made of nylon...perhaps a dubious choice of material in this case. In your experience, do you think worn/broken nylon parts would be the prime suspects in this shifting breakdown? I'm also wondering about similarities with 1990s Jetta and Golf shift linkages, if any.

I assume you are (or were) associated with Bow Wow Auto Parts...I thought they had shut the doors. I used to buy from Bow Wow in the 70's when I had a succession of air-cooled buses - a '64 window van, a '66 pre-Westy camper and finally a much loved '71 Westy. Many years later I've regressed with the purchase of this camper, and it has been a thing of joy until the stick went sideways, literally.

Any suggestions on good sources for parts made to OEM specs? I won't be doing the linkage repairs myself. I just don't have the skills, but would like to be somewhat informed before committing to a mechanic.

Thanks again for your help...hopefully I can contribute something to VVC forum discussions about Eurovans. I sense that there isn't a lot of EV love around the BC Interior, but the Island appears to have a good number of owners.
Bow-Wow
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list of part #s.
Notice that ball # 41 is readily available. But ball #42 requires a bunch of other #s to make it work, including the whole shaft. Sometimes it can be worked around though.
Indeed, the nylon is most likely worn out. Unfortunately, there is zero similarity to Golf/Jetta on these. Like most everything else, it's Eurovan only.

And yes, I was at Bow Wow to the end. I ended up at Volkswagen Victoria with all my fingers in the same aftermarket pies. I even have the old Bow Wow phone# 250.381.4331. So the dealer is your one stop shop for all your VW needs.
If you want it, we've got it. If we don't have it, we can get it. If we can't get it, you don't need it.

Except for Eurovans of course. Some stuff you just can't get.

BRN30055CE28385_013651.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BRN30055CE28385_013651.pdf
 Filesize:  143.99 KB
 Downloaded:  15 Time(s)

stef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful - thanks Bow-Wow! When I get Abby (named for her AAB diesel engine) sorted and back on the road, I'll post comment on how it worked out. Fingers crossed...

P1070262.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  350.47 KB
 Viewed:  13 Time(s)

P1070262.JPG

stef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abby is back on the road - yay! It turned out that the notorious nylon bushings were all in good shape. A fastener on the clevis (#49 in the ETKA linkage diagram posted above) had worked loose, causing the clevis to disconnect from the nylon ball (#41) on the selector shaft. So no parts required - just an hour of shop labour.

Thanks to VVWC members for the input to my original post - at least I now have some knowledge of the Eurovan shift linkage and what can go wrong. Keep on dubbin'...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Water Cooled All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: