Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Vanagon Instrument Cluster Voltage Stabilizer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vanagon Instrument Cluster Voltage Stabilizer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bussosaurus
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Instrument Cluster Voltage Stabilizer Reply with quote

When I purchased my í83.5 Westy the gas and temperature gauges didnít work. It turned out that the voltage stabilizer was fried, along with a section of the flexible circuit card. I ended up buying a partial cluster for parts and among other things used the donor cluster's instrument voltage stabilizer, a tiny square widget with a heat-sink on one end and three prongs on the other (the centre leg isnít used on the Vanagon).

This worked great for a while, having temperature gauge, the red blinky temp warning light and a working gas gauge was a good thing. When the used voltage stabilizer failed I bought a new one locally which cost something like $35. It eventually failed too; Iím pretty sure due to a failed diode in the old alternator which made choppy power and low voltage (I also suspect that this led to the ECU failure shortly after I bought the van as well).

To make a long story short, I'm pretty sure the power supply issue is fixed (and all grounds doubled checked too). For replacement instrument voltage stabilizer, I looked for cheep alternatives and found one. I gave my old one to an electronics tech at work, and he cross referenced it and came up with UA7810CKC and sent me down to Queale Electronics on Government Street. They look a bit different but fit ok and only cost about $2 each. I've been running this one for a few months now, and I keep a spare in my road kit in case I ever have another failure Very Happy

IMG_3593.JPG
 Description:
Old one left, new one right
 Filesize:  883.06 KB
 Viewed:  269 Time(s)

IMG_3593.JPG

dubdreams
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you posted this because I am having the same issue as of recent. Can you tell me exactly where the voltage stabilizer is located?
Bussosaurus
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's on the back of the instrument cluster on a plasticized flexible circuit board. You have to remove the instrument cover the same as when you need to check the brake fluid, then disconnect the tach cable, all instrument lights and the 4 or 5 plug connectors for the gauge clusters, and finally 6 or 7 Phillips head screws to free the cluster. It isn't as hard as it sounds, and with a mini screwdriver and small hands you could possibly get at the stabilizer without removing the instrument cluster and interferance.
dubdreams
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked like a charm, thanks.
Bussosaurus
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear it worked out!
winddude
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, hopefully this helps solves my identical gauge problem!
Bussosaurus
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
Thanks, hopefully this helps solves my identical gauge problem!

Good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Water Cooled All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: