Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Our Sponsors
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Photo Gallery
· Info
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Raised spindles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raised spindles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wide-5
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Raised spindles Reply with quote

Does anyone in the club know were I can get a set of 62 beetle front spindles raised instead of lowered, im building a military type 82 style bug out of a 57 oval and I need the front spindles raised.Thanks Don Rolling Eyes Question
drivingbluebaja
Shaggy
Shaggy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering why you would go that route.
You can get them from the states but it's pretty pricey.
I looked into them a couple years ago from Lordco. They were priced around $600.
If you want the raised look, I would just use adjusters or cut and twist the front beam to where you want it.
Some people put a body lift in to get the tire to body clearance. Are you going to use gear reduction boxes or convert to irs?
wide-5
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on useing redution gear boxes ,I have two sets of the adapters for the bus to beetle tranny conversion , and the body lift is out of the question I want this beetle to look as close to the real type 82 as possible but it will be an oval ,You are wright about the adjusters thats going to be my best bet for the look that im hoping to get in the front end . Laughing Don
drivingbluebaja wrote:
I'm just wondering why you would go that route.
You can get them from the states but it's pretty pricey.
I looked into them a couple years ago from Lordco. They were priced around $600.
If you want the raised look, I would just use adjusters or cut and twist the front beam to where you want it.
Some people put a body lift in to get the tire to body clearance. Are you going to use gear reduction boxes or convert to irs?
JamesT
Rusty
Rusty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make this really easy, you can use barndoor bus spindles and transmission. The barndoor spindles have bug link pins, but about a 3 inch lift, and the barndoor reduction boxes will bolt right on to bug springplates and also give you about 3 inches of lift. It's like these parts were designed for this... oh wait, they were.
The problem with later reduction gears is that spring plate bolts to the height of the lower axle, so just installing the reduction boxes gives you no additional height without re-indexing the springplates, where as the barndoor style bolt on on the same height as the upper axles, so just by bolting them on, you gain 3 inches without modifying the springplate in any way.

Is this what you had in mind, or are you talking about making an actual mock kubel?

drivingbluebaja
Shaggy
Shaggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesT wrote:
The problem with later reduction gears is that spring plate bolts to the height of the lower axle, so just installing the reduction boxes gives you no additional height without re-indexing the springplates, where as the barndoor style bolt on on the same height as the upper axles, so just by bolting them on, you gain 3 inches without modifying the springplate in any way.

I know i'm running 57 boxes upright with an adapter and the axle coming out of the trans is mounted at the same height as a stock axle with the outer axle about 5 inches lower.
This gives me approx 5 inches right off the bat and then of course you re-index your plates and you get whatever your plates are set at.
Greg
Emo Mod
Emo Mod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gona make your oval a split?..... that would be cool.
JamesT
Rusty
Rusty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this going to be just for show, or are you going to actually use this offroad? Are you going to use a 36 horse motor, or something bigger?
wide-5
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James yes it will be just for show and daily driving no off roading,I have a 40 horse that is going to power it so that I can keep up with todays traffic.
JamesT wrote:
Is this going to be just for show, or are you going to actually use this offroad? Are you going to use a 36 horse motor, or something bigger?
wide-5
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I dont think so Greg ,I think if I leave every thing pretty stock looking in the canadian standard oval it should look pretty cool,top that with some flat satin tan coloured paint and you have a cool ride.
Greg wrote:
gona make your oval a split?..... that would be cool.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: