Welcome to The Victoria Volkswagen Club!

Navigation
· Home
· About
· Classifieds
· Contact Us
· Forums
· Private Messages
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Victoria Volkswagen Club: Forums

VVWC :: View topic - Smokin Hot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smokin Hot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pistons and barrels at $360USD?

I could probly locate a used 1600dp that doesn't smoke and leak for less than that in Canadian Funds even.

Then again maybe I can not.

At this point the car is basically parked.

"A liter a day keeps the bug at bay."
Why yes, yes it is leaking a liter of oil a day.

It is now officially cheaper for me to catch the bus than it is to drive.
Wooowhoooo.

It'll be fixed before the July 10th show.
*crosses fingers*

If not fixed well then I am happy to piss out a liter of oil to make it there and back;)

The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob I really think you should tear the engine down more before you decide what to do next. Take the valves out of the heads and check the guide clearance. There should be no black marks in the intake ports. When you honed the cylinders did you set the marks at 45 degrees? Were there any spots that would not hone out? Did they take long to hone? What kind of measurements did you take?

All this stuff can make the difference between tearing the engine out every 2 weeks or happily driving for years.
ranchhand7
VVWC Guru
VVWC Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Piston barrels Reply with quote

Hi Rob, I PMed you.
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really take any measurements or set anything up to some kind of known specification.

I honed the cylinders with a honing bit in a drill.
I honed untill the sheen was kinda gone and gave the cylinders a crosshatch type of pattern that could be seen.
It didn't really take that long. I just did it untill I thought it looked right.

The rings seemed to have settled as the exhaust doesn't appear to smoke...though I don't drive it much...to work and back is all I have done....not smoking anything like it was from the meeting...if it is I am not noticing it......it might be or it might still if I drove it some distance...

The smoke I am getting is from leaking out the valve cover onto a hot j-pipe.

I placed 2 liters of 20w50 in it a couple of days ago and its all gone.

If I can find the time to take it out again I am going to examin and research things a bit further than just replacing rings and cleaning off the carbon from the heads and pistons.

The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if it has stopped smoking then you did good. The crosshatch pattern should be 45 degrees for most engines. Vw doesn't give a spec for that though. I expect honing cylinders is frowned upon. The crosshatch pattern is just to keep the rings lubed enough, but not too much, until they seat. There are some piston to cylinder specs and ring gap specs to check for. But if it's not smoking you may be ok.
66beetle
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I'd be inclined to leave the engine in for now and try to track down the source of those oil leaks, like are they comming from the valve covers or the pushrod tube seals? Did you paint the pushrod tubes before you installed them? I have experience with this and it's a bad idea.
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same leak as I have had before.
Except for it got really bad which is why I blasted it apart in the first place.
The leak is as bad as it gets right now with it leaking one liter a day.

I'm bussing it now.

The leak appears to be from the valve cover.
With such a leak it nicely drips onto a hot j-pipe producing smoke that I notice at red lights.
While driving the air blows the oil onto the muffler.

The push rod tubes were not painted.
The push rod gaskets were replaced with new ones.
The push rods tubes were stretched back to 7.5 inches before re-installing them.

I am use to having vDubs that only ever leaked from the rear main seal.
This is the first one I have had with a leak I could not solve.

*Intreaged*

Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've either got a warped / bent valve cover, or a fatigued valve cover clip. Or possibly some damage to the sealing surface on the head. Now, the valve cover and head are easy to notice defects in. If they appear straight and smooth, then it's probably the clip. You can retention them by taking them off the heads and bending the sides inward. Maybe give that a try.
Ovalzealous
The Man
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you pulled the motor did you clean the oily mess off the block before putting it back in? Which side is the leak on? Are these stock valve covers? I think I mentioned before about the clips chewing their way through the head. You said you put 2 seals under the cover before. Was there a lot of tension on the cover when you did this?
NineteenSixtyFizzZi
Postaholic
Postaholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock covers.
Cleaned both surfaces. Rubber Cemented the gasket to the cover.
Leak is on the drivers side.
I'm not exactly sure how much tention should really be there but it felt fine with one gasket - still leaked.
With two gaskets - tension was a bit more - appeared not to leak but now it's back to where it was before I even did anything.

Like how much tension is there really sappose to be?
When clipped in it doesnt wiggle around.
Are you sappose to strong arm the clip on or something?

Maybe it is possible that the leak is from somewhere else and that it only appears to be coming from the valve cover?

Push rod tubes appeared to be fine.
Maybe too mush pressure?

Having this up on a hoist compaired to just looking at it while laying under it on the ground or up on jack stands may help.

Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushrod tube seal leaks can look like valve cover leaks. (again from personal experience Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VVWC Forum Index -> Type 1 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: